MEDICINE DESCRIPTION: IVERMECTIN 12MG TABLET
Ivermectin 12mg Tablet is the Brand name of the drug and the generic name of the drug is Stromectol and ivermectin also comes as a cream form and a lotion form to apply on your skin.
Ivermectin 12mg Tablet contains ivermectin, belongs to the class of drug called antiparasitic medicine.
Ivermectin is an FDA approved medication for use in humans to treat a variety of parasitic infections including parasitic worms, hookworm and whipworm.
It may also be used as an effective treatment for a wide range of other medical conditions and also for treatment of onchocerciasis, intestinal strongyloidiasis and onchocerciasis or river blindness.
In a clinical trial ivermectin has been found a potential drug for the treatment of COVID-19 treatment for the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 Virus, which is the virus that causes COVID-19 but still FDA has not approved ivermectin for use in treating or preventing COVID-19 infection in humans.
WORKING OF IVERMECTIN 12MG TABLET
- Ivermectin 12mg Tablet works by attaching to the inside structure of the parasite. It initially paralyzes the parasite and then destroys the parasite and it also prevents adult parasites from creating larvae for a while.
- Ivermectin is an anti-parasitic medication which neutralizes the parasites by acting on the nervous system. Ivermectin starves the worms by making them paralysied then slowly leading them to death.
- In the case of strongyloidiasis infection it works by killing the parasites present in the intestine completely.
- In the case of onchocerciasis infection, it can only control the infection as it can kill the developing worms but not the adult worms.
- Ivermectin 12mg Tablet is an antiparasitic agent which acts against the parasite by selectively binding to the glutamate-gated chloride ion channels present in the nerve and muscle cells of the organisms. Combination of ivermectin to glutamate gated chloride ion channels increases the influx of chloride ion which results in hyperpolarization, leading to paralysis and death of the parasite.
USES OF Ivermectin 12mg Tablet
It is a widely used medicine to treat various infections caused by parasites infections of your intestinal tract, skin, and eyes and these parasitic infections affect quality-of-life and lead to life-threatening conditions if left untreated, especially in people with weak Defense (immune) system.
- Onchocerciasis (a worm infection that affects skin and eyes)
- Intestinal strongyloidiasis (a roundworm infection)
- Filarial worm infestations (e.g. lymphatic filariasis or microfilaraemia)
- Hookworm infestations
- Pediculosis (head lice)
- Helminthiasis (Ascariasis, Trichuriasis and Enterobiasis)
Consume Ivermectin 12mg Tablet on an empty stomach, at least one hour before the meals. Swallow the tablet as a whole with a glass of water. It is usually taken as a single dose.
Take the medication as prescribed by your doctor because the dose of this medicine will be different for different patients based on the age and weight and medical condition and medical history of the patient. Follow your doctor’s recommendation or the directions before consuming. Do not change the doses unless your doctor tells you to do so.
But for references it can be considered as follow;
For Strongyloidiasis of the Intestinal Tract
For weight between (15-24) kg: 3 mg once
For weight between (25-35) kg: 6 mg once
For weight between (36-50) kg: 9 mg once
For weight between (51-65) kg: 12 mg once
For weight between (66-79) kg: 15 mg once
For weight between (>80 )kg: 200 mcg/kg once
In general repeat doses are not necessary but for repetition stool examinations is done to verify eradication of infection
River Blindness (Onchocerciasis)
For weight between (15-25) kg: 3 mg once; may repeat in 3-12 mo
For weight between (26-44) kg: 6 mg once; may repeat in 3-12 mo
For weight between (45-64) kg: 9 mg once; may repeat in 3-12 mo
For weight between (65-84) kg: 12 mg once; may repeat in 3-12 mo
For weight between (≥80) kg: 150 mcg/kg once; may repeat in 3-12 mo
Head Lice (Pediculosis capitis; Off-label); 200 mcg/kg PO once; may require 1-2 additional doses repeated after 7 days
Blepharitis (Demodex folliculorum; Off-label); 200 mcg/kg PO once as a single dose, then repeat dose once in 7 days
Filariasis Due to Mansonella Ozzardi (Off-label); 6 mg PO as single dose
Filariasis Due to Mansonella Streptocera (Off-label); 150 mcg/kg as single dose
Scabies Due to Sarcoptes Scabiel; Immunocompromised patients: 200 mcg/kg as single dose; may repeat in 14 days if necessary
Gnathostoma Spinigerum; Gnathostomiasis: 200 mcg/kg as single dose
SIDE EFFECTS Of IVERMECTIN 12MG TABLET
- Common side effects while having treatment of river blindness (onchocerciasis) only.
Usually Some side effects may occur that do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away in a few days as your body adjusts to the medication.
- Eye or eyelid irritation, pain, redness, or swelling
- swelling of the hands, arms, face, feet or legs.
Rare side effects while having treatment for river blindness (onchocerciasis) only.
- Fever, itching or skin rash
- Joint or muscle pain
- Painful and tender glands in neck, groin or armpits
- Rapid heartbeat
- Lightheadedness when getting up from a lying or sitting position
Common side effects while having treatment of strongyloidiasis only
- skin rash or itching
Rare side effects while having treatment of strongyloidiasis only
- Loss of appetite
- shaking or trembling
PRECAUTION AND WARNINGS
- Ivermectin 12mg Tablet drug may interact with sedatives such as phenobarbital or butalbital and anti-anxiety drugs such as clonazepam or lorazepam and narcotic like sodium oxybate and antiepileptic drugs such as valproic acid.
- Ivermectin drugs may interact with alcohol and increase the risk of side-effects so stop consuming alcohol.
- Ivermectin drugs should be used with caution in patients with meningitis, human African trypanosomiasis, and HIV.
- Breastfeeding mothers should use ivermectin only when prescribed by a doctor.
- Do not take Stromectol if you are allergic to ivermectin because it contains ivermectin and other inactive ingredients.
- Keep out of reach of children and in case of misuse or overdose, get medical assistance immediately.
- Patients having liver disease should use ivermectin with caution and consult your doctor before medication.
- Some medicines may affect the way Ivermectin works or the medicine itself reduces the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time so take the medicine after certain intervals to reduce the interaction.
- Ivermectin 12mg Tablet drug must be used with caution along with blood thinners like warfarin used for blood pressure patients.
- Fiber is important for our stomach because it keeps your intestines constantly working when you’re washing, therefore it is important to have a healthy diet high in fiber and nutrients and low in refined sugars and processed foods.
- To improve your immune system, a nutrient-rich diet is also essential to flush out the infection or parasites of the body.
- Anti-parasitic foods to be included in your diet such as Garlic, honey, pumpkin seeds and papaya seeds.
- Stop eating undercooked meat or raw food and seafood to prevent more parasitic infections.
120 Pills, 180 Pills, 60 Pills, 90 Pills